Thursday, April 17, 2008

Contracts: Real versus virtual!

I must be honest…I never read terms of use and I haven’t read Facebook regulations as well and I had no idea what I signed for until I checked out it for my course New media.
There have been quite many discussions about Facebook terms of use which are quite scary if you read them. For me most shocking is the fact that all contents on the site is property of the Company and even after quiting the site they are legal to use data you have provided, for example, your contact information, picture etc. Interesting that actually user of Facebook has no choice what so ever, since the moment he/she join the network. Of course there is always choice to put or not put tick in the box and say „ I agree”. BUT if everyone would become so terrifaid by signing up to different communities and social networks, then new forms of communication, which have become huge industry, would not have future. But that is quite much against the priciples of internet and interactive media.

All this made me think about virtual and real agreements person is signing. Legaly there is no difference, the same terms are used, the same construction, the same obligations and responsibilities. So why do people used to read contracts put on paper and don’t read the ones on screen? Can we say that it is hidden effect of virtuality, that even the name virtual create the fealing that its not for real and we don’ t have any responsibility to take after?


If you would like to reada bit more about absurd stuff in Facebook terms of use i would suggest to check out reviews of my classmates Andras and Per as well as Ralphy's Corner.

No comments: